REQUEST FOR EXPRESSION OF INTEREST FOR CONSULTANCY SERVICES FOR THE RAPID EVALUATION OF THE 2016-2021 AfrEA PLAN AND THE DEVELOPMENT OF THE 2022-2026 STRATEGIC PLAN
Founded in 1999, the African Evaluation Association (AfrEA), brings together evaluation practitioners and commissioners across the African continent. With the Secretariat in Accra, Ghana, AfrEA serves as an umbrella body of more than 39 Voluntary Organisations for Professional Evaluation (VOPEs) in Africa, 12 institutional members, and more than 100 individual members. AfrEA objectives are:
- Supporting evaluations that contribute to real and sustained development in Africa.
- Promoting Africa-rooted and Africa-led evaluation through sharing African evaluation perspectives.
- Encouraging the development and documentation of high-quality evaluation practice and theory.
- Supporting the establishment and growth of Voluntary Organisations for Professional Evaluation (VOPEs) and special evaluation interest groups.
- Facilitating capacity building, networking, and sharing of evaluation theories, techniques, and tools among evaluators, policymakers, researchers, and development specialists.
The African Evaluation Association’s (AfrEA) last strategic plan covered the period 2016 to 2021. The objectives of the Plan where (include summary information about the plan. The Plan was implemented by the AFREA Board with the support of the AFREA Secretariat and rolled out programmes at the Continental and at VOPE level. Such programmes included AFREA Bi-annual Conferences, Professional Webinars, Capacity Building initiatives, Peer Peer Exchange Programmes, add. These programmes involved the active involvement of VOPEs, development partners, evaluators, etc.
In December 2021, the Board of Directors approved the initiation of a process to update and adopt a new Strategic Plan that will guide AfrEA’s activities and set out key priorities for the next five years (2022-2026).
The African Evaluation Association (AfrEA) is therefore seeking offers for consultancy services to evaluate the expired plan and support the development of its new strategic plan (2022 – 2026) in line with the lessons learned in emerging contexts.
- OBJECTIVE OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The overall objectives of this call are two-fold, namely: to conduct a rapid evaluation of the implementation of the Strategic Plan 2016 – 2021, and prepare the successor five-year strategic plan (2022 – 2026). The new strategic plan will help to position AfrEA as a key influencer in generating evidence for policy formulation in Africa by playing a key role in capacitating the growth of VOPEs in Africa and the realization of the Agenda 2063 goals including the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and building on its longstanding commitment to promoting Made in Africa Evaluation.
- METHODOLOGY AND SCOPE OF WORK
The consultant will submit an inception report that explains the most appropriate method(s) that will be used to undertake the rapid evaluation and prepare the draft strategic plan for 2022-2026
To ensure key lessons are captured in the rapid evaluation, wide stakeholder consultation and secondary data should be used in informed the analysis,
Observation methods will include Documentation Review, Focus Group Discussions, and Key Informant Interviews. The documentation review will among others includes;
- AfrEA’s past Five Year Strategy (2016-2021).
- All the 10 Biennial AfrEA international conference reports
- AfrEA Policy and Procedure Manual
- Program and Budget Documents
- AFREA Board Reports
- AfrEA Annual Reports for the past 5 years
- African Union Agenda 2063
- UN Sustainable Development Goals 2030
- EvalPartners EvalAgenda 2020
- Strategic Plans of other Regional VOPES like CES; AES; TANEA, AEA
- Other relevant strategic documents related to evaluation
Undertake various consultations with a wide range of stakeholders: the consultant will be required to consult various stakeholders and among others;
- The AfrEA staff and Members of the Board of Directors
- All committees of the Board for specific functional issues
- VOPE Leaders across Africa
- African Evaluation Journal Editorial Board
- Past AFREA Presidents in order to understand the organizational context
- Donors and strategic partners
- Individual members
- Beneficiaries like online students etc.
- Participants of the AfrEA international conferences
- Collaborative partners like CLERE AAA, IFAD, GEI, UNFPA, UNDP, UNICEF, etc
This consultant is strongly advised to rely on online methods of communication like the Zoom meeting, Google meet, Telephone, and other Digital Videoconferencing platforms as a means of reaching out to respondents due to the expansive nature of respondents. AfrEA secretariat will provide all the logistical support and where necessary, the sampling frames can be organized between the consultant and the secretariat of the Chairman of the Finance Committee for guidance.
- ASSIGNMENT DELIVERABLES
- Inception Report: The consultant shall submit an inception report, which includes tools, data sources and collection methods, work plan, and schedule. The methodology should be clearly outlined in the Inception Report. Of particular interest will be the data collection procedure, analysis, and reporting was given the recommended evaluation design.
- Draft Evaluation Report: The consultant shall submit a draft evaluation report of the Strategic Plan 2016 – 2021 of no more than 20 pages.
- Final Evaluation Report: The consultant shall submit a final Evaluation Report, which takes into account the comments provided by the AfrEA Board and Staff, of no more than 20 pages.
- Strategic Plan 2022 – 2026: produce a draft strategic plan inclusive of a monitoring and evaluation matrix/indicators. The draft plan will be discussed by the AFREA Board and the consultant will produce the final document, incorporating the inputs from the AFREA Board
- PROFILE OF THE CONSULTANT
The consultant must have the following qualifications, skills, and competencies:
- Advanced University degree (Master’s degree or above) in Strategic Planning, Strategic Management, Development Studies, International Development, Policy and Strategy Development, or related field;
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in the area of Project Evaluations, Strategic Planning, or Strategic Management and Evaluation in the African context.
- Proven track record of developing high-quality Strategic Plans [Minimum 3 years] preferably for regional and international organisations involved in programmatic project management, data use for decision making, and capacity building.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English. Ability to speak and write in
- French will be a great advantage.
- Excellent skills and experience in collaborative working relationships with different actors at different levels: national, regional, and international
- TIME SCHEDULE FOR DELIVERABLES AND REPORTING REQUIREMENTS
The time frame for this assignment is 4 calendar months with key indicative timelines as shown below.
|1st July 2022||Request for expressing interest|
|18 July 2022||Deadline for Expression of Interest|
|28 July 2022||Interview with the shortlisted Candidates|
|08 August 2022||Announcement of Successful Candidate|
|10 August 2022||Execution of the Contract|
|12 August 2022||Commencement of assignment|
|15 August 2022||Submission of Inception Report|
|26 September 2022||Submission of Draft Evaluation Report|
|6th October 2022||Submission of Final Evaluation Report|
|31 October 2022||Submission of Draft strategic plan 2022-2026|
|5th November 2022||Validation of the 2022-2026 strategic plan|
|21 November 2022||Submission of Final strategic plan 2022-2026|
|30 November 2022||Communication on the new strategic plan.|
This assignment will be conducted virtually with the AfrEA supporting the consultant by providing all relevant documentation and facilitating virtual meetings with internal AfrEA Staff and external stakeholders. The consultant shall report to the AFREA Board. Day to Day management including logistics of the consultancy shall be ensured by the AFREA Secretariat. The Consultancy assignment shall be conducted in NOT MORE than 90 days spread out in 4 months.
- PROPOSAL STRUCTURE
Interested consultants should submit an expression of interest, structured to include the following information:
- Submission Letter
- The general profile of the company or individual
- Relevant experience includes contact details of the clients like Names, addresses, and other contact details
- Curriculum vitae of the lead consultant
- Comments on the terms of reference
- Description of the methodology and how to apply the recommended design
- Team and project management structure
- Financial proposal [Itemised and cost]
- DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION
Applications should be sent no later than July 18, 2022, by email to: email@example.com with a copy to: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com Specify in the mail subject: “Strategic Plan Consultancy”.
- CONSULTANT SELECTION
Candidates shall be evaluated based on the following technical criteria:
|General qualifications and adequacy for the proposed assignment||15|
|Similar experience in expertise of the assignment as supported by sample evaluation work and or peer-reviewed and other publications||15|
|Description of the methodology and approach||25|
|Experience with pan African Association and International donors||5|
|Knowledge of the Region (environment of the assignment)||5|
|Language capacity (Excellent technical writing in English and French is an advantage||5|
- FURTHER INFORMATION
For questions related to this call, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org